- New York Magazine profiled Marquita Pring, a Levi model who, according to headline, wants to expunge the phrase “plus size.” Oh, now that merits some major discussion. Fox News has also picked up on this, with an interview with Madeline Jones of Plus Model magazine. While I contend you can’t marginalize the already marginalized plus size consumer base, I can see those about to lose power pulling some dirty tricks to maintain the status quo. I do not, however, think that Pring has thought about her views from a true plus size consumer angle.
- A study at Cambridge, University revealed that women are more likely to buy clothing modeled on women that look similar to themselves – exposing as a lie the lonstanding retailer assertion that “smaller models and mannequins sell better.” Even publication theHighLow has picked up on this trend.
- Orient Expressed on Magazine Street in New Orleans carries plus sizes and has in-house designers. Oh NOLA, I long to walk your streets again!
- Daily Venus Diva picked up: Plus size models on the cover increase magazine sales – and the numbers suggest for more than “novelty act” reasons. It’s not just in certain locations,either; the post covers a variety of international magazines.
- Plus size wanna be model Kasia is holding her own on America’s Next Top model. Tyra insists on branding Kasia as “real size” continuing to imply the other contestants and herself are mere nightmarish figments of our imagination.
- Inclusive modeling agency Models of Diversity received a mention in the Oxford Mail as part of an overview of new businesses represented at fashion week.
- Plus-size clothing designer Eliza Parker will represent her designs at Midwest Fashion Week.
- The Montreal Gazette has a writeup of how
Beth Dittorose from local singer to plus size fashion and music powerhouse. (By being awesome, I presume.)
- Melbourne, Australia will be having its
first-ever plus size fashion walkat its fashion week.
- Jessica London has launched PlusSizeDresses.com, a blog/social portal for their more fashion-oriented shoppers.
Business of Plus
- HotTopic/Torrid reports a small drop in sales in February.
- The Rapid City, Iowa Maurices store will soon offer plus sizes.
- Big Brother winner Josie Gibson launched a plus size line? OK, I fear reality show contestants in the wild, but I’m curious.
- Portuguese publication EBand makes note of increasing inclusiveness of women of absolutely all walks in fashion.
- Dutch portal Nu.nl makes not of Crystal Renn’s fashion week appearances, including Zac Posen and Chanel.