Unknown, left Victoria Grycan, right.
- In a not-exactly searing article, Northampton Chronicle asks “Are women hated if they are beautiful?” No. Beautiful women, like anyone, are hated if they are jerks. Beauty only has something to do with it when someone ignores a person being a jerk because of their looks – which really says more about the low quality or low self-esteem of the person ignoring the jerkiness.
- In more Photoshop-powers-used-for-evil news, here’s a post on how a non-plus size plus size model is used, via Photoshop, to make an ugly bridesmaid’s dress even uglier over on David’s Bridal. Photoshop is a great program, but some of the stuff it’s used for … shudder.
- Adelaide Now has a brief profile of plus-size model Alice Hayward. The dress she’s wearing … I don’t understand that collar.
- I’ve spent a great deal of time cleaning up the Fat Chic Catalog project, and sadly pulling hundreds of shut-down stores from the catalog and from the revamped-for-functionality Fat Chic Clothing Search engine. So I’m inclined to believe this article decrying the lack of choices available for plus-size shoppers.
- Ottawa-based Sid Cratzburg is attempting to cover the needs of 50 years old and up fashionistas, including making sure they have adequate plus sizes available.
- Camilla Huey, owner of House of Execution, dresses
plus-sized entertainers. “Ms. Huey’s own secret weapon when corralling plus-size personalities like Adele, Aretha and Oprah, she said, is an old-fashioned pitilessly boned corset built-into the garment.“
- Slink magazine, a UK based publication for women sizes 10 and up, has been released. I’m still looking for my plus size fashion magazine soulmate; nothing quite brings the qualities of Bitch, Lucky and Marie Claire together quite right yet. To be convenient this week, the Daily Mail is acting like it favors the publication.
- In a *facepalm* maneuver that manages to ignore three cultural contexts and not just one, Shreya Badola of Daily News & Analysis of India declares “Size 0 is out! Size 16 is in!” Neither is in OR out. The idea that a body type is “fashionable” or “not fashionable” is an overtly abusive, misogyny-based behavior in the east AND in the west. Are tall men or short men ever “in fashion?”
- Dorota Wróblewska, a blogger commenting on a plus-size modeling program in Poland, has some interesting things to say about what his reasons are NOT for supporting plus size models. “They are not disabled.”
- In a fashion roundup for the Philipines, plus-size model Chrisla Dahl is named as one of that nation’s fashion muses. (Definitely worth the click for the fashion photography.)
- Adaora Ukoh, an actress familiar to Nollywood (Nigerian film), has released her own plus-size fashion line.
Sign up for the Fat Chic Sales Roundup – twice a month, get a gathering of affiliates and advertisers with sales, news, and even the occasional giveaway!