The Plus Size News Roundup
- The New York Times Magazine headline speaks for itself: â€œApparently using fuller figured models gets you awards.â€
- A plus-size girl was stopped by a bouncer from dancing on a platform in a bar in Iowa. â€œYouâ€™re not pretty enough and youâ€™re pregnant,â€ is what she says the bouncer told her.
- Another examination of Beth Ditto, this time mentioning her appearing nude â€“ in contract to last weekâ€™s comment about her as one of the few beautiful big women who is not constantly asked to get naked.
- Torrid is opening a store in Tucson, Arizona.
- Helen Holland of Glusburn got to meet British plus-size designer Gok Wan. Why is this newsworthy at all? First, because Gok Wan isnâ€™t as much of a name here in the States and he should be. Also, heâ€™s a great example of another plus-friendly fashion designer doing good outreach. Iâ€™m puzzled as to why the reporter felt where Ms. Holland ate was relevant to the story (column inch thing?) Iâ€™m just glad he didnâ€™t report what she ate. Elsewhere, Nina Blakemore also got to meet with the designer.
- Natalia Vodianova claims it is better to be skinny than to be fat. Yes, itâ€™s judgy, itâ€™s bitchy â€“ and as a Polish woman, it is a very, very Slavic thing to say. In this case there was some crowing on her part, but a lot of us Slavic women arenâ€™t even conscious of how blunt we really are. I am not saying what she said was OK â€“ it was not â€“ but I am saying there is more cultural context to what she said than those reacting might realize.
- Public fixation on Crystal Rennâ€™s weight is really unhealthy for the people keeping track. Of course, since Renn made a very big deal about embracing her size and then changed it, her motives behind the huge weight drop are going to be discussed and questioned forever.
- For folks on the Isle of Man, the Beyond Brooke boutique has size 12 plus offerings.
- Mehreen Syed does not think plus-size models would work out in Pakistan. Her reasoning sounds good until she finished with, â€œAlso, the camera doesnâ€™t accept overweight girls. It just works that way you know.â€ That took her from informed, culturally aware pro to just a narrow minded asshole. I look at photogenic fat girls EVERY SINGLE DAY. Sheâ€™s full of it.
- NuVo TV will be airing Curvy Girls, a reality show focused on the careers of a group of plus size models.
- Judging from the marketing copy, such as this:
â€œIn the competitive world of modeling, the common congratulatory phrase “Good, I’m happy for her” really means, “I hope she breaks a %$#@ heel on the runway!”
this show might be more of a misogynist stereotyping nightmare than a revelatory insight into plus-size modeling and the culture changes surrounding it.
- Eloquii designer
Jodi Arnoldhad her opinion sought out for an article about summer trends in the Detroit Free Press.
- An editorial in the Irish Independent asks if fashion has lost all respect for society. So the fashion industry is sociopathic? Iâ€™m not sure thatâ€™s news, but itâ€™s worth exploring for what it is.
- Canadian vintage store Modern Dame Boutique has picked up a plus-size vintage inspired line from Cherry Velvet Vintage.
- Simone Charles is now the UKâ€™s curviest woman.
- SliNK, an online fashion magazine based out of Wales for plus size women, is adding a full color print edition.
- Just for your ridiculous amusement, thereâ€™s now an Iphone carrying bra. Please. Iâ€™ve been using my bra to stash my keys for years.
Business of Plus
While I normally focus on exclusively plus size retailers here, if a company that includes plus sizes in what it offers appears in my stream, I will report that, too.
- Liz Claiborneâ€™s quarter 1 2012 results were pretty good.
- Long Tall Sally is opening up pop up stores in the US. Thereâ€™s already one in the Mall of America. Thereâ€™s also a gaping market hole for tall women, too.
- Lapdance Lingerie has begun shipping out of China. I am only OK with this brand name if they have offerings for menswear, too.
- Thanks to the Free Trade Agreement, Colombia may become a major apparel supplier for Canada.
- Itâ€™s been announced elsewhere, but itâ€™s worth repeating: Eloquii is about to start appearing in The Limited stores.
Footage from Telford Fashion Show (United Kingdom)
Sign up for Fat Chic Sales Roundup
get a semi-monthly letter from the editor and a list of affiliate sales and giveaways.