This is a collection of health news and related links for plus-size women. Please bear in mind that many, even most of such studies are the following
1)Funded by corporations that make a great deal of money from the diet industry. 2)Inconclusive. 3)Find correlation, yes, but not causation. A triangle may be prone to cancer, but a square also being a geometric shape does NOT mean it is also prone to cancer. 4)Exaggerated and panic-inducing. The “obesity epidemic” exists in part because people never previously considered “obese” have been re-classified under an arbitrary definition of “fat.”
For more insight and understanding into this, please read Junkfood Science from the beginning.
- There’s a new diet drug on the block. This one doesn’t make you poop yourself. We’ll see what horrors it does visit.
- There are more concerns that low-carb diets in the long term create strain on women’s hearts. Whole grains and increasing vegetable intake a lot seems to compensate this.
- Women who exercise during their childbearing years demonstrate a reduced risk of breast cancer later in life.
- Lower vitamin D levels has been CORRELATED to weight gain in older women.
- Parents experiencing job stress are more likely to make poor food choices for their families.
- If you ARE looking into medically assisted weight loss, take a look at this article on stepped care – and share it with your doctors. Be sure you are on the same page about what the phrase “need it” means.
- Low-glycemic diets do result in increased likelihood of weight loss, according to a JAMA article. I await more detailed research.
- Eating your veggies makes your pancreas happy.
- This study suggests that if you fast, you’ll reach for something that’s not great for your body to break the fast – and keep reaching for it.
- Extra weight does come with an increased likelihood of knee pain.
- Parents and teachers getting involved in food choices increases children’s likelihood of eating properly. Whenever they make these public health endeavors, they forget that the kids need to be included to so that they have some sense of ownership over these changes being made AT them “for their own good.” Seriously, put some 8 year olds on these health boards WITH the adults.