Plus Size News Roundup 7/9/12
- The campaign worked! Seventeen has pledged to run one photo spread unaltered by photo shop in each of its issues.
- Gemma Collins’ plus size fashion line premieres July 11th – this Wednesday.
- How times have changed. 72% of 15,000 women surveyed in Brazil would feel just find having a little extra weight on their bodies.
- Tumblr’s thinspiration and pro-anorexia ban might make private pro-anorexia sites more accessible. On the one hand, yikes, on the other hand it might be a LOT easier for these girls’ loved ones to figure out what they’re doing and where they’re getting their ideas from.
- Plus size model
Dominique LaRuehas been crowned Ms. United America.
- Simply Be and Figleaves will be offering the world’s largest bra. This times nicely with National Posts’s discussion of the plus-size industry, and the troubles of finding a decent bra.
Business of Plus Size
- In a move that makes me think really well of them, Ascena is making an effort to save 7500 jobs from the closing-down Fashion Bug.
- Hot Topic Inc.’s quarterly dividend is .08 per share.
Plus Size Global
- South Africa’s fashion industry is starting to offer more clothing for plus size women.
- Kirstie Mouncey (pictured above) is an entrant in the Miss Big Beautiful Woman pageant, and her story reads like a lot of our stories. I’ve stayed pretty well away from the whole “fat admirer” thing, but maybe in December when it’s slow and everyone’s relatively well behaved we’ll have a conversation about it.
- Curvalicious Boutique has opened in Victoria, Canada.