This is a collection of health news and related links for plus-size women. Please bear in mind that many, even most of such studies are the following
1)Funded by corporations that make a great deal of money from the diet industry. 2)Inconclusive. 3)Find correlation, yes, but not causation. A triangle may be prone to cancer, but a square also being a geometric shape does NOT mean it is also prone to cancer. 4)Exaggerated and panic-inducing. The “obesity epidemic” exists in part because people never previously considered “obese” have been re-classified under an arbitrary definition of “fat.”
For more insight and understanding into this, please read Junkfood Science from the beginning.
- Artificial sweeteners have been given an endorsement of sorts by the American Heart Association and the American Diabetes Association. As long as they’re not used as an excuse to eat “higher calorie goodies.”
- An increasing number of US elementary schools have banned soda machines. I’d love to see someone buy them and put in indie, healthy snacks or even stuff like crayons.
- The obesity paradox raises its head – heavier patients have an increased chance of surviving heart surgery. Mostly I just want to know what anyone of ANY weight can do to avoid needing it.
- More involved parents = more active children.
- Exercise and meditation reduces the likelihood of getting the flu.