Cropped trousers differ from capris in the following ways:
- they may NOT be made of denim.
- there is none of this “flare” bullshit. Those are gauchos, culottes, or skorts.
- most would look better with a narrow belt
- in most jobs, they can pass for business casual (NOT DENIM.)
- they tend to be fitted all the way to the calf, but never “tight.”
- often they appear in plaids, tweeds, and other things that might make you think vaguely of losing a bet on a golf course.
- you should not, under any circumstance, be able to picture yourself in a Beach Blanket Bingo movie while wearing them.