Greetings Chic ones!
Last Saturday heralded the beginning of Fall Fashion Week for 2013, so the month long extravaganza of ready-to-wear fashion hilarity has begun! While as always the majority of fashion caters to the straight-sized population, at least over in London Town the London Plus Size Fashion Weekend coincides with London Fashion Week. If you want to see what straight size designers wish for â€“ or want to inspire your own design and sewing projects â€“ you can see the fashion week schedules for New York, London, Milan and Paris.
A bit of news for Fat Chic regulars: I know youâ€™ve missed having some actual content and so have I. Since I find myself embroiled in the business of writing a book I must direct much of that commentary energy elsewhere. Starting this week, I have help! Trusted friends and fabulous writers/fashion lovers Star and Crystal are bringing their voices to Fat Chic. I hope to bring on a few more by the yearâ€™s end.Â Theyâ€™ve been around before, so some of you who have read this for years may recognize their styles. Also, Iâ€™ve occasionally gotten the details wrong when introducing people for the sake of conversation so Iâ€™m leaving the whole sharing-of-details to them â€“ if they see fit, theyâ€™ll introduce themselves.
Be nice to them â€“ I will still be around enough to watch for and crush trolls!
Now, for your regularly scheduled plus size news roundup!
- Read this history of fatshion bloggingâ€“ I suppose Fat Chic doesnâ€™t really fall under the â€œradicalâ€ header despite my personal views.
- Angela Spindler, who has led teams like Debenhams and Asda, now takes the CEO slot for moving-in-to-High-Street plus size retailer N Brown.
- Forbes of all places has an article on handling plus size fashion â€“ that even addresses chub rub. Investors, take note â€“ if Forbes covers it, theyâ€™re saying â€œhello, get your giant piles of money here.â€ The caveat being that thereâ€™s enough competition in the plus size clothing industry now that you actually do need to offer a product that is both well-made and attractive.
- Minneapolis (where Fat Chic is located) has a new pinups magazine â€“ with some plus size models included.
- Read this profile of Jada Sezer, one of the models to walk in Londonâ€™s plus size fashion weekend.
- Nailah Lymus is pushing high fashion that honors Muslim modesty precepts. She is working with Sumiyyah Rasheed on a plus size fashion line.
- Rex Reed, not idiot savant but just idiot at the New York Observer, has confused Melissa McCarthy with an inanimate object. Or has confused his sense of entitlement for a remotely valid opinion. Hard to say, except for the idiot part.
- Howard Kurtz, on the other hand, wishes people would just shut up about who is and isnâ€™t fat.