- Zoe Saldana revealed her weight in her interview with Allure magazine. At a definitely not plus size 115 pounds to her height it still makes for an interesting move – and what does it say that she’s convinced that women that are naturally slim need some sort of validation? I’m starting to think – if her move is sincere and not manipulative – that there’s a problem above and beyond size perceptions. (This particular article is followed by a food recipe in a move that makes me want to slam my head into a wall.)
- The new brand ambassador for Macy’s INC line: Camila Alves McConaughey.
- Vogue Australia’s body issue is coming out and editor Edwina McCann says it’s not just about plus size bodies. By saying so, she reveals the inherent can of worms that is the Vogue brand globally. “It’s an issue where all the content looks at how to be your best you. That’s what Vogue is – the aspiration to be the best you can possibly be.” In plain English, that means “No matter who you are, you’ll never be good enough.” I’m not just saying that because I think Vogue is on moral par with arms dealers, slavers and the wedding industry.
- Isaac Mizrahi has come out about his eating disorder when he was in his 20s. While this does little to explain some of his previous behavior (even if gay, keep your hands to yourself!) it might explain some weird stuff that happened to Target’s plus size clothing lines when he came along as their first guest designer. Larger women are loaded psychological weaponry. We’ve got to find a way to make this work for us.
- Bollywood actress Aishwarya Rai shows off her plus size figure at Canne – as she has since 2002. She’s actually quite stunning and worthy of a Google image search.
- Kirstie Alley has slammed Abercrombie & Fitch for their refusal to provide for plus-sizes. Honestly, their almost immediate stock market dip should make the whole thing clear enough that A&F lost touch years ago with “cool.”
- Have you seen Gabi Fresh’s fatkini line yet?
- Actual research into how America’s Next Top Model not only rots your brain but ruins your life.
Business of Plus Size
- Joe Sitt founded the plus size fashion chain Ashley Stewart. His view of his place in the market reveals a lot about how Ashley Stewart has marketed itself over the years.
- Islamic fashion – especially upscale Islamic looks – are becoming more visible in the United States. I’ve seen some amazing hijaab getups in Minneapolis; my favorite has been the studded ankle-length skirt and skull head scarf look I saw on a younger woman in downtown.
- UK hosiery supplier Le Beau has put out a call for plus size models.
Plus Size International
- This pictorial spread shows plus size models in fashion inspired by a telenovela.
- BGM Plus-Size Model Lauren Burnett Makes VOGUE History
- H&M’s NBD Approach To Plus-Size Model Shocks, Astounds World
- Here’s The Hypocrisy-Laden History Of Plus-Size Models